Thursday 22 November 2007

Concert Review : Sometime world...

It's been a few weeks since I've been able to add to this. A family illness has curtailed my activities and I've not been able to (or, to be honest, wanted to) devote the relatively small amount of time needed to keep a regular flow going here.

In the meantime, I have been exhibiting all my usual characteristics of supporting young, up and coming bands. Let's see - I caught Wishbone Ash at The Ferry in Glasgow. What do you mean, they don't qualify!!

I have a particular bond with Wishbone Ash as their first album was one of the first two albums I bought with my own money. The other was the eponymous T. Rex album (the one with the fold-over picture of Marc and Micky on the cover). I don't think they ever really fully fulfilled their potential and, after the excellent Argus, their albums became more uneven for various reasons. Wishbone Four had some excellent songs, but was appallingly produced and Locked In simply stank to high heavens - of the others, Just Testing is probably the best but they all had a little something that stopped them from being absolutely top notch.

They are also one of those bands where there is now a couple of version of the band to choose from. The "official" version is led by Andy Powell (who certainly has the chronological right to the name) which Martin Turner leads his own version (who go out as Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash) who, in my opinion, probably contain the spark that made the band so special.

It was the Andy version that I saw and they gave a fine show as they have always done. There's a spattering of newer material but the set is based largely around some Argus favourites plus a varying range of other back catalogue songs. They've been active on the new album front but I must confess that their latest "The Power Of Eternity" is just the wrong side of mediocre.

I would love to see Martin' version of Ash. They've put out a couple of live albums (including some tracks featuring original guitarist Ted Turner - no relation) which suggest that they are harder hitting than their namesakes and feature Martin's distinctive singing and bass-playing. They also have a more esoteric on the back catalogue as well.

It would be good to think that differences could be buried and Martin and Andy join forces to really take Wishbone Ash to a higher level even at this stage of their career but it does appear that bridges have been well and truly burned with little prospect of any kind of reunion.

Anyway, Universal have just issued a 35th anniversary edition of Argus so if you've got a hankering after twin lead guitars and great songs then check it out

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad I wasn't the only Manboarder to catch (and enjoy)the Pistols on this tour. I caught them the night before the Glasgow gig at Manchester and would say your blog is spot on. From what I've heard the first few Brixton gigs were a bit shaky due to lack of rehearsal but they were playing well on those last 2 dates.