Thursday 25 October 2007

Rock's Greatest Secret

It was on the 30th October 1973 (when I was just sweet sixteen) that I went to see Argent at the Apollo Theatre in Glasgow. This was actually my first gig at the newly refurbished venue which had previously seen service as Green's Playhouse. Interestingly, the support act was a band called Glencoe who contained some musicians who later formed part of Ian Durys' most excellent Blockheads.

That evening was a good gig but what was more important was that it provided the entry point for one of my musical obsessions. I was convinced to attend a gig the following evening to see Man at the City Halls in Glasgow. I was short of money and unfamiliar with the band, but the promise of a few drinks being bought for me was enough to convince me to go along.

There were three acts on the bill that evening. The opener was John St Field who was actually Jackie Leven in undercover mode - he went on to form Doll By Doll (whose albums have recently been reissued and are recommended) and thereafter on a solo career with a number of fine but little heard albums. Sandwiched in the middle was Deke Leonard's Iceberg which included two former members of Man (Deke himself plus Martin Ace), followed by Man themselves who were promoting their Back Into The Future album.

Much as I would like to rectify this, I can't say I remember much of John St Field and this may well be because we were ensconced in the bar. However, Iceberg were a revelation (and any Manfans out there will appreciate that particular pun) with a set based mostly on Deke's album of the same name. Particular highlights were 7171 551 (which is based on Michael Nesmith's name as interpreted via an old style telephone) and A Hard Way To Live which has to be one of the best singles never to have made the charts.

Man followed and were at their spaciest and I just fell in love with the whole ethos that seemed to surround the band. The fact that they were touring with guys who had been in the band not too long before seemed unusual but was a breath of fresh air.

And then they all got on stage together at the end for a riotous rendition of Spunk Rock. Rather like the reaction of babies to music they heard in the womb, hearing the riff from that piece does something to me and just elevates me to a higher place. The particular adjective used there possibly helps describe the feeling.

Man split up in 1976 (and in the intervening period Messrs Ace and Leonard rejoined to take part in the wonderful journey) but reformed in 1983 and have been proceeding in one way or another since then. I suppose everyone has a band that didn't quite make it (notwithstanding that Man played and managed to sell out the Apollo in their own) that they have a particular affinity with and Man are certainly mine. I can't for the life of me understand why they are not celebrated as one of the great UK rock bands.

The particular point (another Manpun!!) of this is that their back catalogue is now getting the level of respect it deserves and the first three albums of their Liberty/UA catalogue have been issued on Esoteric Recordings. The first of these (simply entitled Man but with a naked painting of the species on the cover to allow it to merge in quietly in the background of any album collection) is perhaps the least essential but the other two are albums that you simply should own if you consider yourself a fan of rock music. The album Do You Like It Here Now? Are You Settling In? is a stone cold classic where the idea of filler was simply inconceivable and where the song writing and playing is exemplary. It's boosted by live tracks from a German gig that, even over 35 years on, makes me regret that they were unknown to me at that time. Seldom has a live band sounded so on fire.

And just to prove that the gig was no fluke the other album is all live. Live At The Padget Rooms, Penarth was issued as a budget release (and was at number 1 on the mid-price charts for the one week it was available as a limited edition release) but the reissue features the complete concert. Quite simply stunning - there is no other word for it.

Separate from the Esoteric releases, the Greasy Truckers Party album which features Hawkwind and Brinsley Schwartz as well as my intrepid heroes has also been given an extended reissue. The version of Spunk Rock that appeared on this is, in my opinion, simply the greatest piece of live music that ever found its' way to an album. If there is one Man track you need to hear before you pass from this earth, then this is it.

The next few months will see the remainder of the bands UA output released by Esoteric and it is hoped the current version of the band will be touring in 2008 around the UK. In the meantime, I'll settle for my regular visit to Swansea to enjoy the band at their regular Xmas gig and will delight in the company of the many friends I've discovered through my love of his exceptionally fine band

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The word "refurbished" must obviously be taken with a pinch of salt when talking about the Apollo ... I guess a coat of cheap emulsion and a bit of a hoover was about the limit of what was done.

And I wondered how long it would take before you started waxing lyrical about Man ... although rhyming "banana" and "marajuana" does take the creative biscuit.

I suppose that if the blog was called "It's Just My Bollocks" it would attract a larger audience, though not necessarily the one you intended.