Wednesday 30 December 2009

Concert Review : Ray Davies - Royal Concert Hall, Glasgow

Ray Davies turned up at the Concert Hall in Glasgow to provide a masterclass in songwriting, with a set whilst leaning heavily on the old classics still contained a healthy input from his last studio album, Working Man's Cafe.

Starting off acoustically and working through a number of classics before being joined by a full band, including Ian Gibbons who had been the last keyboard player with The Kinks, Davies was in good voice and prefaced many of the songs with amusing anecdotes. During the show he was perhaps a little too keen to test out the singing voices of the audience - I'm all for singing along to well loved choruses but his constant requests to sing louder with reprises of choruses did begin to wear a little.

The high points of the evening were an acoustic reading of Waterloo Sunset, and the full band (but still restrained) performance of Celluloid Heroes. From a lengthy catalogue of timeless classics, I do think these two might just be his best.

Support for the evening was provided by Roddy Hart. I previously saw Roddy supporting Jeff Beck earlier in the year but hadn't really been able to appreciate him fully as I'd slumbered through much of his set. This time round he demonstrated that the fault was my tiredness, rather than any lack of quality on his part. Another fine songwriter, with a strong voice and a confident stage manner, his set was filled with strong melodies that encourage investigation into his two albums. One to catch with his band at some point.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Allan,
As they say here in Texas, "Bless Your Heart". Maybe you had a few too many Ales at the show, but Ray has ALWAYS goten the crowd to singalong all show long forever! I am not sure how many times you seen the Kinks or Ray solo or even Dave solo, but my total is 48 times.There is a reason the term Kinkophile was invented. Thank your lucky stars that you had an oppertunity to see one the greatest ever to step foot on ANY stage yet again! I am from NYC and now reside in Dallas. I was present at the West Bank Theater for Rays original "Story Teller" shows that started the series on TV.I did get to see him once more after that on Long Island, NY. I would fly back to NYC in a heartbeat for the chance to see Ray again or god forbid, The Kinks! I only wish England was not so far, for I would of LOVED to of been "Bothered" to be asked to sing along for a great! God Bless The Kinks & Bless Your Heart Allan! Joe Maggio USA