Friday 17 July 2009

Hello, My Name Is Allan And I'm An Iron Maiden Fan

Is this what it's come to? Almost 30 years since the supposed New Wave Of British Heavy Metal which brought them to our attention in the first place, I'm beginning to get a considerable liking for Iron Maiden. Is there an Iron Maiden Anonymous group that meets in secret that I should consider joining?


Being in my mid-20's when this all struck first time around I was pretty dismissive of the whole scene at the time - in retrospect, possibly the last time I allowed a bit of snobbishness to get in the way of enjoying honest to goodness music.

By way of some of the recent concert DVD's, I found my interest being grabbed by many of the songs and via FOPP have since invested in pretty much the entire back catalogue. Whilst the early albums suffer from a certain naivete, from Number Of The Beast on they take things up a level or ten.


Great guitar work and terrific arrangements more than compensate for the occasional lack of a strong tune (twas always thus with music at the heavier end of the scale) but as they move through their career the albums become more adventurous and play well to the proggier tendencies of my listening preferences.

Whatever next? I'll tell you now that it won't be Def Leppard!

No comments: